My family was going through Gold Peak Lemonade Iced Tea like it was no one’s business. The plastic bottle is SO wasteful, it drives me nuts. But it is just like every other container for beverages so the struggle continues. When my mom decided to try and make her own I was super excited at the idea of reusing a glass container and basically only having the tea bag and cardboard tea bag box be the waste. Take a look at how easy and this recipe is, how much money you can save and reduce on plastic waste!!
Ingredients for a quart of tea:
- 2 black tea teabags
- 1/2 cup white sugar (optional or you can use less/more to taste)
- 1 lemon
- 4 cups water
- Boil 3 1/2 cups of water.
- Turn off the heat and put 2 teabags into the water and steep for 5 minutes.
- Remove tea bags from water. Do not squeeze the tea bags, the tea will be too bitter.
- If you are using sugar, add 1/2 cup white sugar to the glass container. My mom uses a paper funnel to get it in the bottle.
- Squeeze 1 lemon into a little bowl or cup. Make sure you take out any seeds and then pour it into the tea mixture. My mom uses a smaller lemon but use as much as you like!
- Pour the tea/lemon mixture into the glass container. She suggests using a pan that has a little spout so it is easier to pour into the glass jar. If you are using a larger open container you don’t need to worry about this.
- Shake up or stir the tea together! Make sure you handle the glass container with oven mitts or a towel because it is HOT!
- Add a 1/2 cup of cold tap water to finish it off.
- Chill in the fridge until cold and enjoy!!
I hope you enjoy!! And thank you ma for sharing your recipe.